Published : 11/30/2018
If you are thinking of re-grouting your bathroom, there are a few important issues to keep in mind. Here’s a list to consider:
- Always remove all of the old grout completely. Grout adheres to tiles, not old grout. Some basic tools you’ll need include an oscillating power tool with a grout remover attachment, a screwdriver to remove more stubborn pieces of grout and a blunt Stanley blade for smaller pieces. Be sure to wear safety goggles and use a vacuum cleaner to clear the grout as you go, so you can see what you’re doing.
- Ensure the tiles are completely dry before applying the new grout. A hair dryer should do the trick nicely.
- When choosing new grout, why not go for a colour other than white? This will not only enhance the beauty of your tiles, but also keep them looking good for longer.
- For consistency of colour, use a pre-mixed grout.
- You only need a few simple items to replace your grout – a grout float and a large sponge. The grout float is used to evenly spread the grout between the tiles. Wait five minutes, and then use the damp sponge to wipe excess grout from the tiles. Do this diagonally, so you don’t remove the grout from between the tiles.
- Leave the grout for at least 24 hours to dry completely before using your bathroom.
Between the seasons, most houses expand and contract as they move between the hot and cold months. This can affect the integrity of your grout, and create small cracks that allow water to seep through. A more permanent solution to this problem is Megasealed’s Megagrout MG-11. This two-part epoxy grout is flexible, so it moves with the tiles, and is also anti-fungal, as well as water and grease resistant. It’s also an eco-friendly option, being made from recycled and reclaimed materials. It needs to be professionally applied, so speak to your nearest Megasealed professional about this option.