Causes of leaking showers
Why do showers leak and balconies leak?
The most common cause of leaking showers and leaking balconies is due to building movement and settlement causing weakening or cracking of grout, or the waterproof membrane under the tiles fails. This usually occurs between the floor and wall joints of the shower recess or balcony area.
Up to 90% of showers built onto a stud wall will eventually leak because a gap will occur between the tiled wall and the floor of the shower recess. This gap can be caused by the vibration of the wall arising from the opening and closing of doors and contraction and expansion of the wall as the building moves naturally from temperature and moisture changes.
Leaking showers and leaking balconies affect Australians everyday
The grouting between the tiles cannot withstand the vibration movements and the result is shower or balcony leakage via gap/s between the floors and walls.
- Solid brick homes can also experience the same problem as leakage can occur between the wall and floor due to expansion and contraction.
- Even showers with a shower tray/membrane can often only cope with small quantities of water, and are not equipped with self-drainage systems. Once the tray is full the overflow will leak into the floor and walls often being absorbed by woodwork and carpet in adjoining areas.
- As well as looking unsightly, these damp areas often smell, rot and attract white ants (termites).
- Silicones and “plugging” products may work for a limited period (depending on the quality of the product and the amount of leakage). However, efforts to remove dirt/mould build-up exacerbate the problem as few of the sealants are resistant to abrasive powder cleansers and/or scouring brushes.
By preventing water from penetrating through the gaps and joins of the shower recess or balcony wall the Megasealed service provides a long-lasting, cost-effective solution.
Warning signs of a leaking shower
- Carpet is wet or smelly
- Paint bubbling on walls
- Visible gaps in floor and wall joints
- Floor or wall grout missing
- Dirty, black or mouldy silicone
- Discoloured tiles or grout in or around shower
- Swollen timber door frame or architraves
- Jamming bathroom door
- Buckling floors
- Damp or water marks on ceiling below bathrooms
- Deterioration of silicone around the shower screen
If there are any of these warning signs in your home your shower may be leaking and causing damage to your property.
Don’t let the problem get any worse, call Megasealed today on 1300 658 007 or get someone to call you for a no obligation free quote by your experienced and local consultant.
Warning signs of a leaking shower :
|Damp and rotting carpet|
|Paint flaking off walls|
|Tiles lifting and grout missing|
|Doors jamming and buckling|
|Tiles lifting away from the wall|
|Cracks in the walls|