Why do showers leak?
The most common cause of leaking showers is building movement, causing the weakening and cracking of grout, and damaging the waterproof membrane under the tiles. This usually occurs between the floor and wall joints of the shower recess.
Up to 90% of showers built onto a stud wall will eventually leak because a gap will occur between the tiled wall and the shower recess floor. This gap can be caused by the vibration of the wall arising from the opening and closing of doors and contraction and expansion of the wall as the building moves naturally from temperature and moisture changes.
If you have a leaking shower that needs to get fixed, get a free quote from Megasealed Technicians today! Take the first step by clicking the button below for your complimentary quote.
LEAKING SHOWERS AFFECT AUSTRALIANS EVERYDAY
The grouting between the tiles cannot withstand vibration, resulting in shower leakage via gap/s between the floors and walls.
- Solid brick homes can also experience the same problem as leakage between the wall and floor due to expansion and contraction.
- Even showers with a shower tray/membrane can often only cope with small quantities of water and are not equipped with self-drainage systems. Once the tray is full, the overflow will leak into the floor and walls, often being absorbed by woodwork and carpet in adjoining areas.
- As well as looking unsightly, these damp areas often smell, rot and attract white ants (termites).
- Silicones and “plugging” products may work for a limited period (depending on the quality of the product and the amount of leakage). However, efforts to remove dirt/mould build-up exacerbate the problem as few sealants are resistant to abrasive powder cleansers and/or scouring brushes.
By preventing water from penetrating through the gaps and joins of the shower recess, the Megasealed service provides a long-lasting, cost-effective solution.
Warning signs of a leaking shower
- Carpet is wet or smelly
- Paint bubbling on walls
- Visible gaps in floor and wall joints
- Floor or wall grout missing
- Dirty, black or mouldy silicone
- Discoloured tiles or grout in or around the shower
- Swollen timber door frame or architraves
- Jamming bathroom door
- Buckling floors
- Damp or water marks on ceiling below bathrooms
- Deterioration of silicone around the shower screen
If there are any warning signs in your home, your shower may be leaking and causing damage to your property.
Get profession help from Megasealed
Also, remember that some leaks are invisible to the naked eye, such as shower leaks under the floor or bathroom walls. Megasealed is equipped with advanced thermal water leak detection technology to detect those invisible leaks if needed.
Don’t let the problem get any worse; call Megasealed today on 1300 658 007 or get someone to contact you for a no-obligation free quote by your experienced and local consultant.
Warning signs of a leaking shower:
|Damp and rotting carpet
|Paint flaking off walls
|Tiles lifting and grout missing
|Doors jamming and buckling
|Tiles lifting away from the wall
|Cracks in the walls
Discover what Megasealed can do for you!
Share this article
Our standard Megasealed service is quicker, cleaner and more cost-effective than a tiles remove solution.
Industry leaders for over 25 years
One of the first in the business to fix leaks and renew wet areas without removing tiles, we’re proud pioneers of this revolutionary process.
Exclusive, premium products
Depending on the most suitable solution for your situation, our Technicians will use our own unique and exclusive products to ensure the highest quality results.
Nation-wide service, local support
We service almost every state, with family-run franchises delivering affordable solutions to local communities across the country.
Get A Free Quote
Let us know your details and one of the Megasealed sales team will be in touch to arrange a quote